Position - Seasonal Merchandiser
Kalamazoo Garden Solutions is seeking Seasonal Merchandisers in the the following areas:
MI - Portage, Kalamazoo, and Plainwell
This is an hourly paid position, paying $11.25/hr.
Reports to: Field Manager or Field Coordinator, Regional Manager, and Merchandising Program Manager
Job Purpose: The basic tasks of the merchandiser are to ensure that the live plant material is unloaded and featured in displays located in key areas of the retail location, including - store entrances, sidewalks, garden center entrances, garden center patio and parking lot. This position will also include assisting with tasks to ensure the product remains sale-able, these tasks include, but are not limited to, watering, culling, pulling for markdown or toss, training store associates on proper care, light cleaning/sweeping of display locations to ensure a presentable appearance. Merchandisers may be responsible for multiple live good categories, depending on the location they are working. Categories they may be responsible for include: Trees, Shrubs, Tropical Blooming, House Plants, Perennials, Landscape Bulbs, Annuals and Mums. Candidate must be able to lift, push, and pull up to 50lbs, constant bending and lifting of plants and moving of KFG carts.
1. Become knowledgeable on proper care and merchandising best practices for plant product supplied to locations worked.
2. Daily communication with their respective Field Manager/Coordinator
3. Potentially assist in preseason set up, including working with store management to ensure the garden centers are ready for the season.
4. Train store teams on proper merchandising techniques, including watering, product consolidation, assisting in unloading deliveries, and proper time tracking
5. Upon arrival at the store clock into the company timekeeping system as directed.
6. Connect with a member of store management to let them know you are there.
7. Walk all areas where there is plant material and determine tasks that need to be completed for your shift that day - reconnect with store management to go over concerns (water issues, state of plant material, pricing, displays) if necessary.
8. Assess product quantities and quality at store and garden center entrances, end caps and feature tables. Consolidate and refresh or replace to ensure these areas have a fresh appeal to customers.
9. Assess general display areas, such as garden center patio and/or parking lot to help identify sub par product that is ready to be marked down and/or thrown away.
10. Consolidate plant product as necessary to prepare display areas for fresh plant deliveries.
11. Utilize best practices for exceptional execution of store layout and merchandising techniques, including ensuring proper display standards and signage are being implemented, and monitoring and executing watering practices.
12. Provide seasonal correction of errors and feedback as needed.
13. Position may require some light travel.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Individual in this position must possess strong organizational skills with a strong background in customer service. They must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting. Individuals in this position must also possess strong conflict resolution and relationship building skills.
Position Information and Expectations:
This position is based on an average of 20-40+ hours per week. During peak times, this position will require extended hours, including frequent weekends and some Holidays.
Position does allow flexible schedule options, so the ability to self-determine in-store time and prioritize responsibilities accordingly is necessary.
This position will require the regular use of a smart phone for clocking in and out, paychecks are issued weekly on Thursday and pay options are Direct Deposit or a company issued pay card.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma. 1-3 years’ experience in similar position desired, but not required. You must have a Smart Phone and the ability to
Direct Deposit. Access to a computer will also be required to complete Timekeeping Certification and Electronic On-boarding.